Friday, September 08, 2006

Wow, I've had such an nice response to this blog. I got ichy fingers now and finding it hard not writing posts every half hour. Last night we threw a surprise party for Spanish-Fernando, and he was indeed very surprised, and very happy I think! I have never thrown a surprise party for anyone before, it was a lot of fun, it is now certainly on my things-to-do-more-often-list. Up there with reading George Orwell,talking about feminism and calling my mum.

Turns out the World Bank Soccer party was yesterday too so we went after the surprise thing, but not so surprisingly it was rather dry. All I can say is that being in DC is inspiring both day and night. For me, here politics have become touchable, its amazing! Walking past the American Red Cross, the IMF and the State Department (foreign office) every day have sharpened and focused me I think. I guess when studying politics in Leeds it feels like a science, being here I can see that its a profession, a living, and undoubtedly something I want to work with in the future. Its forcefully inspiring, but for the first time seeing the contour of what I want my career to look like is also awfully frightening. How am I going to get there? Am I good enough? Why would anyone ever want to give ME any responsibility? Thankfully DC so far is more inspiring than frightening. Phew!
.

No comments: